What is a Medical Assistant (MA)?
Medical Assistant is an allied health care job that primarily works in the Doctors offices as well as medical centers and other health care facilities. They perform day to day duties such as medical office physical examination, basic laboratory skills and procedures, back office procedures such as taking and charting medical histories, recording vital signs, explaining treatment procedures. Medical Assistants also schedule appointments, provide customer service and telephone techniques, bookkeeping, record management, insurance billing and collection, diagnostic and procedural coding.
What are the requirements for the Medical Assistant Program?
Please bring the following when you come in:
- Possess High School Diploma or GED.
- Must Pass the Entrance Test (Wonderlic) with at least a score of 16 out of 50.
- Possess adequate Math skills.
- Minimum age requirement at least 17 years of age with parents consent.
- Must have a valid B.L.S. (Basic Life Support) by the American Heart Association.
- Must have a valid I.D. and Social Security Card.
- Meet the required health requirements such as history and a Physical Exam performed by a Physician or Nurse Practitioner and a negative P.P.D. skin test or negative Chest X-ray (if P.P.D. test result is positive) indication of no active tuberculosis.
- Proof of Hepatitis B Series Vaccination, MMR, Varicella and Tetanus immunization prior to externship